Who We Are
Co-Opted Governor / Chair of Governors
- I have been a Governor at Southway for 4 years, starting when mu daughter was in Year 3.
- I am a passionate advocate of our school and strive to do the best job I can for our families and staff. It is a privilege to govern Southway and I am very proud of the hard work our staff put into caring for and teaching the children. They provide an excellent quality of education in a lovely learning environment.
- I am also on the Local Board at The Burgess Hill Academy, where I have held the post since the beginning of 2020. Being a governor at both school gives me a unique insight into both primary and secondary education, leading to a deeper understanding of the schools, transition and curriculum development.
- I run a local Brownies unit and have lots of fun going on adventures with our girls.
- I am Sussex born and bred, having moved to Burgess Hill from Brighton in 2013.
- I have worked in advertising and law but now am a classical soprano. I am heavily involved in the Sussex classical music scene, both as a performer and in running events and music competitions.
- My hobbies include Italian, extreme hiking, keeping fit, design, history, gardening, live music and travel.
Co-Opted Governor / Vice Chair of Governors
- I have 2 children at Southway, aged 9 and 10
- Originally from South Wales, I moved to Burgess Hill in 2004 with work. At the time I rented a house and fell in love with the girl next door. She is now my wife of twelve years and so I never left.
- Although I now call England my home, on 6-Nations days you will still see me dressed in red and singing Bread of Heaven.
- I love rugby and played flanker for Ditchling 1st team.
- For a living, I am a private-jet pilot. The hours are sporadic, but the view from the office is amazing.
- I am also a qualified jet instructor and examiner and when not flying, work at a simulator centre here
in Burgess Hill.
- Earlier in my career I worked as the national distribution manager for a blue-chip company and as an
engineer in the aircraft industry. I hold an HND and an honours degree in Design Engineering.
- In my free time I enjoy renovating our house and spending as much time as possible with my wife,
kids and border collie. I love to challenge myself and am currently in the process of writing my
Parent Governor / Chair of Finance & Premises Committee
- I have two children, my eldest son is at Southway and our youngest son is at nursery.
- I was delighted to join the governing body in November 2019 as I wanted to contribute to the governing of the school and offer my experience as a Chartered Engineer, Manager and small business owner. I am very interested to learn from and work with the great team Southway has in place.
- I have a masters in Mechanical Engineering & a strong passion for science and engineering having spent my career working primarily in R&D as a consultant engineer in the automotive industry, working on a range of projects for many of the world's car companies. More recently I managed a large engineering department and test and development facility
- I now work part time on our family business, a hair salon in central Brighton and also as a technical consultant and project manager at a start-up which is designing and making a new marine engine.
- I enjoy cycling & motor sport (although my days of participating are behind me... for the time being!)
- I joined as a parent governor in December 2020. I have a son in year two at Southway, and twin daughters in reception at Gattons.
- I run a digital software business where I am the lead developer, and have been building websites since the early 1990s. I count myself lucky I get to do what I love for a living.
- I've lived in Burgess Hill since 2012, moving from Brighton for more space and to have better access to the countryside.
- I started studying towards Physics and Maths degrees with the Open University in 2008, before putting that on hold when our children arrived, and look forward to returning to studying in future.
- When I'm not working I try to see Harlequins and England play rugby when I can, and I enjoy cooking and woodworking.
Local Authority Governor
- I am a retired primary school teacher with over 35 years teaching experience. I have been a Maths subject leader, Head of Key Stage 2, Assessment Co-ordinator and latterly Assistant Head of a large and diverse school in Mitcham in the London borough of Merton.
- After retiring I was co-opted as a governor in another Merton School and was chair of governors for 2 years before moving to Sussex earlier this year.
- I enjoy being a governor and I wanted to continue to do so at a local school and so I am delighted to have been offered the LA Governor position at Southway.
- My underlying principle has always been to put children’s welfare and education first. My experience as a teacher, my knowledge of the education system and my understanding of what is required of a governor will hopefully be valuable to Southway Governing Body.
- I have many other interests including being a hands-on grandma, travelling to different countries around the world (pre Covid of course!) art, gardening and volunteering on a community farm.
- I joined the Governing Body as a staff governor in 2020. Having taught at Southway for the past 6 years, I felt that becoming a governor, would allow me further opportunities to develop professionally and make different contributions to the school.
- Originally, I began my time in education as a Teaching Assistant. Since then I have spent the last decade teaching across Key Stage 2, within West Sussex.
- Most of my spare time is now filled with my young son, who is full of energy and keeps us busy. However, I can always find time to play netball in my local league too!
Co-opted Governor (School Business Manager)
- As School Business Manager I am responsible for the school’s finances, procurement, premises and human resources. I am responsible for reporting the school’s financial position to the Governing Body.
- I have been in post since December 2008 and hold the Certificate in School Business Management.
- I have over 20 years experience in budgeting and financial analysis. My previous employment also provided me with over 12 years in procurement.
- In my spare time I enjoy swimming, walking my dog, sewing and scrapbooking. I'm an avid rugby fan.