Who We Are
Co-Opted Governor / Chair of Governors
- I have been a Parent Governor since June 2015. I currently have a daughter at Southway, in Year 6. I am the lead governor for Special Educational needs (SEND) and Chair of the Finance & Premises Committee. This means I am responsible for working closely with the school and the SENCo in respect of supporting children with special educational needs and involved in managing the school budget with the Headteacher and School Business Manager.
- I attend all of the monthly Governor committee meetings to support my fellow Governors and the School Management team.
- I am a qualified Financial Adviser (CII Dip) and have worked in the financial services sector for over 20 years, with HSBC Bank plc.
- I have lived in Burgess Hill for 20 years and I am a keen supporter of Brighton & Hove Albion. Having two young girls, means my weekends are busy with family activities and I enjoy seeing them develop and grow.
Parent Governor / Vice Chair of Governors
- My daughter is in Year 6 and I have a 21 year old son who works in the TV industry.
- I am Sussex born and bred, having moved to Burgess Hill from Brighton in 2013.
- I have worked in advertising and law but now am a classical soprano. I am heavily involved in the Sussex classical music scene, both as a performer and in running events and music competitions.
- I am on the Local Board at The Burgess Hill Academy and am a local Brownies leader.
- My hobbies include Italian, extreme hiking, keeping fit, design, history, gardening, live music and travel...in particular, having exciting adventures with my family
Parent Governor / Chair of Finance & Premises Committee
- I have two children, my eldest son is at Southway and our youngest son is at nursery.
- I was delighted to join the governing body in November 2019 as I wanted to contribute to the governing of the school and offer my experience as a Chartered Engineer, Manager and small business owner. I am very interested to learn from and work with the great team Southway has in place.
- I have a masters in Mechanical Engineering & a strong passion for science and engineering having spent my career working primarily in R&D as a consultant engineer in the automotive industry, working on a range of projects for many of the world's car companies. More recently I managed a large engineering department and test and development facility
- I now work part time on our family business, a hair salon in central Brighton and also as a technical consultant and project manager at a start-up which is designing and making a new marine engine.
- I enjoy cycling & motor sport (although my days of participating are behind me... for the time being!)
- I joined as a parent governor in December 2020. I have a son in year two at Southway, and twin daughters in reception at Gattons.
- I run a digital software business where I am the lead developer, and have been building websites since the early 1990s. I count myself lucky I get to do what I love for a living.
- I've lived in Burgess Hill since 2012, moving from Brighton for more space and to have better access to the countryside.
- I started studying towards Physics and Maths degrees with the Open University in 2008, before putting that on hold when our children arrived, and look forward to returning to studying in future.
- When I'm not working I try to see Harlequins and England play rugby when I can, and I enjoy cooking and woodworking.
- My children both attended Southway - my son is now doing a PhD in Sports Science at Kingston University and my daughter is doing a History degree at Exeter University.
- I am a qualified Commercial Insurance Underwriter (ACII) but have recently retired after 30+ years in the profession.
- I was born in Cuckfield and bought up in Burgess Hill and after a few years living away in early adulthood I returned with my husband to make our home here and raise our children.
- My hobbies now include gardening, cooking, reading, yoga, sustainability and recycling (everything I possibly can!) and going on nice long dog walks.
Co-opted Governor (School Business Manager)
- As School Business Manager I am responsible for the school’s finances, procurement, premises and human resources. I am responsible for reporting the school’s financial position to the Governing Body.
- I have been in post since December 2008 and hold the Certificate in School Business Management.
- I have over 20 years experience in budgeting and financial analysis. My previous employment also provided me with over 12 years in procurement.
- I have 2 children at Southway, aged 9 and 10
- Originally from South Wales, I moved to Burgess Hill in 2004 with work. At the time I rented a house
and fell in love with the girl next door. She is now my wife of twelve years and so I never left.
- Although I now call England my home, on 6-Nations days you will still see me dressed in red and
singing Bread of Heaven.
- I love rugby and played flanker for Ditchling 1st team.
- For a living, I am a private-jet pilot. The hours are sporadic, but the view from the office is amazing.
- I am also a qualified jet instructor and examiner and when not flying, work at a simulator centre here
in Burgess Hill.
- Earlier in my career I worked as the national distribution manager for a blue-chip company and as an
engineer in the aircraft industry. I hold an HND and an honours degree in Design Engineering.
- In my free time I enjoy renovating our house and spending as much time as possible with my wife,
kids and border collie. I love to challenge myself and am currently in the process of writing my