Who We Are
Co-Opted Governor / Chair of Governors
- I have been a Parent Governor since June 2015. I currently have a daughter at Southway, in Year 6. I am the lead governor for Special Educational needs (SEND) and Chair of the Finance & Premises Committee. This means I am responsible for working closely with the school and the SENCo in respect of supporting children with special educational needs and involved in managing the school budget with the Headteacher and School Business Manager.
- I attend all of the monthly Governor committee meetings to support my fellow Governors and the School Management team.
- I am a qualified Financial Adviser (CII Dip) and have worked in the financial services sector for over 20 years, with HSBC Bank plc.
- I have lived in Burgess Hill for 20 years and I am a keen supporter of Brighton & Hove Albion. Having two young girls, means my weekends are busy with family activities and I enjoy seeing them develop and grow.
Parent Governor / Vice Chair of Governors
- My daughter is in Year 5 at Southway and I have an 19 year old son who is working in Cambridge.
- I have been an active parent helper at the Gattons since my daughter started in Reception and continue to help there and at Southway every week and on school trips.
- I read Law at Bristol University and have worked in Advertising and Law.
- I ran a successful cleaning business before having my daughter.
- I am a classical singer and am passionate about music. I am involved in running a major local music competition and do social media and promotion work for many Sussex-based music groups. I do as much voluntary work as I possibly can.
- I have lived in Burgess Hill for nearly 5 years, after moving up from Brighton. I love to travel and have big adventures with my family.
- I adore all things Italian, classic cars, design, history (my 7 year old is a history geek), live music, rugby, athletics, gardening and (most importantly) watching my children discover life and all the great things it has to offer.
- I joined the governing body in September 2018 as my daughter joined the school and I wanted to be involved and if possible help. I have been resident in Burgess Hill for 20 years and lived most of my life in Sussex.
- I am qualified with a B.Ed in Design Technology with over twenty years in the construction and design industry. In this time, I have worked in Structural Engineering practices and been a technical director in my own company. Throughout my design life, I have worked through issues and developed other skills such as project management, budget analysis and contract legal awareness.
- Outside of construction, I spent six years in the exhibition and marketing sector with a support role for technical product development. This was in the hi-fi industry which also happens to be a hobby and keen interest.
- Hobbies outside of work and family are limited but I have enjoyed travelling and time spent in the country where I feel at best to relax and unwind.
Parent Governor / Chair of Finance & Premises Committee
- I have two children, my eldest son is at Southway and our youngest son is at nursery.
- I was delighted to join the governing body in November 2019 as I wanted to contribute to the governing of the school and offer my experience as a Chartered Engineer, Manager and small business owner. I am very interested to learn from and work with the great team Southway has in place.
- I have a masters in Mechanical Engineering & a strong passion for science and engineering having spent my career working primarily in R&D as a consultant engineer in the automotive industry, working on a range of projects for many of the world's car companies. More recently I managed a large engineering department and test and development facility
- I now work part time on our family business, a hair salon in central Brighton and also as a technical consultant and project manager at a startup which is designing and making a new marine engine.
- I enjoy cycling & motor sport (although my days of participating are behind me... for the time being!)
- My children both attended Southway - my son is now doing a PhD in Sports Science at Kingston University and my daughter is doing a History degree at Exeter University.
- I am a qualified Commercial Insurance Underwriter (ACII) but have recently retired after 30+ years in the profession.
- I was born in Cuckfield and bought up in Burgess Hill and after a few years living away in early adulthood I returned with my husband to make our home here and raise our children.
- My hobbies now include gardening, cooking, reading, yoga, sustainability and recycling (everything I possibly can!) and going on nice long dog walks.
Co_opted Governor (School Business Manager)
- As School Business Manager I am responsible for the school’s finances, procurement, premises and human resources. I am responsible for reporting the school’s financial position to the Governing Body.
- I have been in post since December 2008 and hold the Certificate in School Business Management.
- I have over 20 years experience in budgeting and financial analysis. My previous employment also provided me with over 12 years in procurement.